1) What are your own origins, Kara? Plus what path did you take in life to get to where you are today? I’m a graphic designer from Oklahoma City who has been writing on the side for the past few years.
2) What inspired you to create your graphic novel, ‘The Bargain’? The initial concept of a paranormal traveling salesman began a few years ago. I put it in my idea list and a few months ago I went back to the idea when I started fleshing out a new project.
3) In your own words how would you describe this story? 'The Bargain' is about a man named Jackson Connolly who has three days to break the devil’s pact for his soul or go to hell. It will be a full color graphic novel approximately 65. pages. It's a blend of moody noir, action and adventure.
4) If your novel was a piece of music, what would it be and why? Probably something by Robert Johnson. It just fits the mood and theme.
6) What would you say attracted you the most to set your story in 1955, New Orleans? And does this particular time and place have any relevance to the story in itself? Or could it have been set anywhere? The location was inspired by a road trip I took to Louisiana recently, plus a trip I took to New Orleans several years ago. The location itself has become a character in the book, and I can’t imagine this story having the same look and feel if it took place anywhere else or in any other time period.
8) If you could get a celebrity – either living or dead – to promote ‘The Bargain’, who would you get and why? Oprah. Let’s face it, if Oprah endorses you then you are gold. Honestly, I don’t know. Are there any celebrities that do endorse comics?
9) What piece of advice would you give to someone else trying to produce a similar project? Just write a good story.