If you've ever envisioned a tall, repressed, and gangly looking Englishman with a mustache, who have you thought about? Burt Reynolds? Tom Selleck? Joseph Stalin? Or what
about that tall, repressed, and gangly looking comedian Dick Cavett spoke to in
1979, for about 60 minutes? He has a mustache!
Dick Cavett - John Cleese
- This is the second chat show I've been on in my life. The last one was in 1967. I just thought it best that I leave it for a little while before I did more, ha!
- It was the BBC who first wrote the title 'Flying Circus' in print. So because the rest of us were pissed at the time, we just went along with it. We added the 'Monty Python' part later.
- The initial idea was that Brian was going to be Jesus' 13th disciple, and that he was always going to be late for everything because of his overbearing wife. But it didn't work. We found that we couldn't satirize Jesus because what of he stood for.
time 'Python' or '
' is broadcast in Faulty Towers New York, I get £2.
first time 'Python' went out in
Englandit was aired at on a Sunday night. No. It wasn't ideal.
- You can't watch something like the news after you've watched 'Python'. Everything just seems silly somehow.
- The world is comprised of two types of people -- the anal retentive and those who are comfortable with themselves.
- As 'Python' went on we started to parody each others styles. So it's very hard for us to figure out who wrote what now.
- The English are very vicious, yet we manage to hide it very well.
- I find that there are two types of complaint. The personal complaint: where someone would approach you after the show, and tell you what they thought was offensive about your material. And then there are the heads of organisations: who would air their views because they think their members might be offended by something you've done.
- My strength as a writer is a stern logic. I stick to one rule and follow it all the way through to the punch line.
- The 'Parrot Shop' sketch started out as a man complaining to his mechanic about his damaged car. It then developed into something completely different.