Billy The Pyro At Fly Comics
1) What are your own origins, Brad? Plus what path did you take in life prior to getting to where you are today? I've always had a connection to art ever since I was a small child. Art allowed me to escape my reality and to become whoever and whatever I wanted. I was never good at expressing myself verbally. Though I found being able to draw and create was a way for me to be able too. Almost as long as I can remember, I've always doodled and created random stories which eventually turned into comics. The first real comic I ever created was a web comic called, The Fly. It lasted many years before I eventually got too busy with life, work, and lost focus.
I took about a 5 year hiatus from creating comics, up until last year. I made some big changes in my life to be able to focus on what I truly love doing, which was comics. I had decided to leave my job, the actual one that had made me stop creating comics to begin with, and dive back into them head first.
As for the name, Billy. Honestly there’s not much to that. It was just a name that sounded right for the title.
3) In your own words how would you describe this story? Billy the Pyro is a not so normal coming of age story about an adolescent teenager having to deal with an abusive and troubled life. Feeling like there’s no end in sight, he soon finds out that there’s much more meaning to it. Having been genetically altered by a government research institute to be able to produce and control the element of fire. Billy, now has even more questions as he tries to cope with his new found abilities, and put his past behind him.
4) What song would you say best represents this project and why? Ohh, I don’t know. Probably something from Rise Against. Even though I don’t listen to them much anymore, I did a lot back when I first created, Billy. You know, a lot of teenage angst going on.
5) If you could get a celebrity – either living or dead – to promote your wares, who would you choose, and why would you want to choose this particular person? Anna Kendrick. Just because she’s my celebrity crush. I’d give anything to have her know about Billy the Pyro and / or me.
7) During your time in this field, what is the one thing that has kept you in good stead? That I’m doing something that I love to do. Fulfilling a dream and a goal of mine. There was a period of time where I not only stop creating comics, but stopped being creative all together. That was one of my biggest regrets in life.
8) If ‘Billy The Pyro’ had a motto, what would it be? “Keep Calm and Burn S#!T”. Haha I actually put it on a T-Shirt too.
So there you have it, my friends. 'Billy The Pyro' by my buddy, Brad. When you can, please don't hesitate to check out his comic book on facebook, twitter, as well as the official website. Go on. Give them a click. Cause you'd be flaming mad not to.