1) What are your own origins, Colin? Plus what path did you take in life prior to getting to where you are today? Hailing in from Los Angeles, California, my brother and I started creating stories together before Kindergarten. After college, we both moved back to LA and were writing separately. We realized we were both rewriting each other's stuff all the time, so decided to join forces as a screen writing team.
The Markings’? We're lifelong comic book fans and had always wanted to get into that world, but didn't have an avenue... until crowd funding. We ran an indiegogo campaign to raise funds to pay our artist, and a year later, here we are.
3) Can you briefly tell us what this comic is all about? OK. So here's the elevator pitch: PhD candidate Jack Lewis believes he's discovered the original, unified 'language of man'. But when everyone who reads his grant proposal is killed and he's being framed, he must go on the run to clear his name and figure out what's going on. What he discovers is he hasn't found an ancient language of man... what he's actually found is a 'language of magic'.
4) What song would you say best represents your story and why? The Top Gun soundtrack. For no particular reason other than it's awesome.
5) If you could get a celebrity – either living or dead – to promote your wares, who would you choose, and why would you want to choose this particular person? Oprah. Do you know how well her book club does???
6) What have you learnt about yourself through this endeavour? And were their any unforeseen obstacles you had to contend with along the way? Turns out making something is immensely fullfilling. The main obstacle we had was that our first artist strung us along and then dropped out. We had to scramble to find Bong, who ended up being a better choice for the project (blessing in disguise). But having to scrap the first 8 pages and being set back a couple months time-wise was definitely stressful.
|[ The Markings ]|
8) If ‘The Markings’ had a motto, what would it be? There is an underlying code to the universe; you just have to know where to look.
Now if you want to know any more about Colin's comic book called 'The Markings' please check out his facebook page. Or alternatively, pick yourself up a copy by clicking on the links provided. Many thanks.