1) What are your own origins, Dominik? I was born and raised in Lodz, Poland, and spent most of my early years watching movies and reading science fiction books, mostly Stanislaw Lem, Kurt Vonnegut, and PK Dick. As an adult I've worked as an art director (for the last 12 years), but I always had this urge to create my own stuff. I just couldn't help myself. I was spending all my money and time on my passion projects, constantly balancing on the verge of bankruptcy.
"Our Friend Satan" is the first project that I was able to do exactly as I planned and wanted, and hopefully this will be my breakthrough. I'm putting all my skills, knowledge, and energy to make it as awesome as possible.
2) What inspired you to create, ‘Our Friend Satan’? I really can't give you a straight answer on this one. It was a process. I was working on the concept for 2 years before I started writing.
Satan is an interesting character, one of the greatest tragic characters ever. I was reading about him a lot, thinking what he might feel when looking on our world. So that was one thing. But this sounds very dark, and I'm all about the comedy, so when I started imagining Satan, it quickly went down to a bathrobe and spaghetti.
The Pope, on the other hand, was much harder to create. I mean, how does this guy think? One of the reviewers wrote that the Vatican-02 space station is a symbol of him being detached from our world, and its exactly what I was going for. He's like a villain in a Bond movie, that looks on the world, and dreams about unlimited power. Or maybe he's on a mission from God? Ha! Who knows? (Well, technically speaking, I know, but I won't tell you!).
3) In your own words how would you describe this story? The comic book tells a story of Satan. But our Satan is not the Prince of Darkness you might have imagined. He has no horns, no hooves, and no tentacles. Instead he's getting old, he's tired and depressed, and is going through a midlife crisis. He works really hard to keep sinners in order, but spends his nights strolling around Hell in a bathrobe, drinking vodka with his demon buddies, and ranting about how Catholic propaganda talks sh*t about him. Finally, when things get even worse, he decides to deal with the matter once and for all, and sues the Pope for defamation of character.
4) What song would you say best represents this comic and why? Actually, because this project started as a movie, we have a short soundtrack! You can listen to it here...
5) If you could get a celebrity – either living or dead – to promote your wares, who would you choose, and why would you want to choose this particular person? Jesus, obviously! Mainly because I want an autograph on my Bible!
6) What have you learnt about yourself through this endeavour? When someone tells me some harsh words about my writing, or whatever, I often start to question my abilities. But now, after receiving such amazing feedback from my fans, even if a moment like this happens, I always have on the back of my head this little box, and there's a card inside saying, "You were here before, and you will be back again. But everything will be fine, because you're good at what you do".
Now I know this might sound egocentric, but I think its very important that every creator believe they are really f*cking good. Worst case scenario, they're wrong, and they will realize this at some point, and everyone will forget about it pretty quickly. But if they're really good, they need to make their own mistakes. Because when you create something you're never really sure if you're going the right direction, and sometimes, you let other people tell you what to do, what to change. And yes, this is very dangerous. Yes, you need to listen to other people. But never treat it too seriously. These are just opinions. You need to collect them, analyze them, and then sometimes make those changes! But always remember that you're the boss and its your and only your decision. And either you're f*cking good at what you do, and they are wrong, or it all simply doesn't matter anyway. And if you meet a person that seems to know everything... RUN!!!
7) During your time in this field, what is the one thing that has kept you in good stead? The more you give, the more you will receive. Be nice to people, invest all your passion, and connect with your fans.
8) If ‘OFS’ had a motto, what would it be? Evil always loses!
My God! Doesn't that sound heaven sent, dear reader? So go on. What are you waiting for? The second coming? Please check out Dominik's 'Our Friend Satan' by clicking on over to his official website and twitter pages. Click-click. And if you do, tell him an angel sent you. Bless.