What Netflix have done is to examine the global viewing figures of more than 100 serialized TV series across more than 190 countries, only to find out when members are focused on finishing a programme, specifically, watching over two hours a day just to complete a season. When organizing series in relation to this benchmark some interesting patterns have emerged, ranging from high energy narratives that are devoured to thought provoking dramas that are savored.
Sense 8 and Orphan Black grab you, assault your senses, and as The Binge Scale shows, make it hard to pull away. The classic elements of horror and thrillers go straight for the gut, pushing the placement of series such as American Horror Story and Hemlock Grove towards the devour end of the scale. Likewise, comedies with a dramatic aspect, like Orange is The New Black and Grace & Frankie, seem to tickle our fancy and make it easy to say ‘just one more’.
Honestly, it’s no surprise that complex narratives, like that of House of Cards and Bloodline, are indulged at an unhurried pace. No surprise either, that viewers take care to appreciate the details of dramas set in bygone eras, such as Peaky Blinders. Maybe less obvious are irreverent comedies such as BoJack Horseman, Love, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. But the social commentary that powers their jokes, paired with characters that are as flawed as they are entertaining, allow them to be savored by us all.
Vice President of Original Content at Netflix, Cindy Holland, said, “As The Binge Scale shows, experiencing a series ranges from the emotional to the thought provoking. The beauty of Netflix is the control to find a series to binge no matter your mood or occasion, compiled with the freedom to watch that series at your own pace - whether that’s to indulge in Bloodline or power through Orange is the New Black”.
GLOBAL SCALE: RANGING FROM SAVOR TO DEVOUR
- Irreverent Comedies: BoJack Horseman, Arrested Development, Unbreakable, Kimmy Schmidt, F Is for Family, Love.
- Political dramas: House of Cards, Homeland, The Good Wife.
- Superhero dramas: Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, Gotham.
- Crime dramas: Bloodline, Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Bridge.
- Historical dramas: Narcos, Peaky Blinders.
- Dramatic Comedies: Orange is the New Black, Grace & Frankie, Flaked.
- Sci-Fi: Orphan Black, Sense 8, Between, The 4400.
- Action & Adventure - Marco Polo, Prison Break.
- Horror: Z Nation, Scream, American Horror Story, Hemlock Grove.
- Thrillers: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Killing, Bates Motel, Dexter